Thursday 7 August 2008

Windows Search 4.0

I'm sort of blogging this to see if anyone else has had similar symptoms.
I've been having trouble getting the security patch KB948109 installed on my laptop - SMS has tried installing the patch about six times now, it seems like my SQL Server instance is patched but my SQL Express instance refuses to take it even if I stop the SQL Express service :-(
One of the things I tried last week manually going to Windows Update to install it. While I was there I noticed Windows Search 4.0 and thought I'd install that too. Big mistake.
Immediately after I installed Search, any use of the Google Toolbar crashed the toolbar and then IE. It took me a day and a half to get back to some kind of working configuration, even using Windows Restore didn't solve the problem. I don't have a proper resolution now, I can't use the Google Toolbar and using the IE Search box with Google has ... interesting effects.

No comments: