Friday 22 August 2008

Recovering the Sharepoint Central Admin Website

I've been through a process of discovery today of some of the rules of Sharepoint.

  1. You do not stop the Sharepoint Central Admin service.
  2. You DO NOT stop the Sharepoint Central Admin service.
I stopped the Sharepoint Central Admin service (by accident). This is such a fundamental thing not to do that it totally baffles me that Microsoft provide a UI to do it for you.

To get it back, you need to run the Sharepoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard. If you've already created a site, you'll be asked if you want to overwrite it, create a new site, or not to create a site. I chose not to create a site as I didn't want to screw up previous work. The wizard then ran through and at the end of it I had a working admin site again.

I tried some playing around with the STSADM command-line tool with the -createadminvs option, which looks like it ought to create a new admin website for you (I'm assuming the vs bit is short for Virtual Site) but I couldn't make this work and I couldn't find any discussion of this through Google to suggest what I was missing.

No comments: